Monday, September 15, 2014

Mission Conference with Elder Ballard

The biggest news of the week is that Elder M. Russell Ballard came to our mission to speak, accompanied by Elder Timothy J. Dyches, Elder Donald Hallstrom, and of course their wives. I love coming to conferences with questions. All of my questions were answered, both during my own personal preparation before the conference and during the conference itself. One of the questions I had was about the Atonement, and while preparing for the conference I found a talk called "Beauty for Ashes: The Atonement of Jesus Christ" by Bruce C. Hafen. (click here to read). It really helped me understand the Atonement better, specifically just how much the Atonement makes up for our weaknesses and shortcomings and eventually changes us and sanctifies and purifies us. The conference itself to me had a very loving and appreciative atmosphere, and they repeatedly thanked us for what we do. That was really neat to feel the Lord's love and appreciation as one of His servants spoke personally to our mission.

We also had a cool experience yesterday with an appointment. We went into the lesson not really sure how prepared the man was to progress, but the church member with us testified powerfully and was a fantastic support and it went really well. Also, on Saturday our almost baptismal date (wants to get baptized and just has scheduling things to figure out) asked if she could please pay tithing even though she's not a member. So before her baptism she plans on donating that money to a different fund in the Church, because her desire is so strong to do that. She's amazing.

Second biggest news of the week is transfer calls. I will be staying my last 4 weeks in Gent, which I am very excited about. However, that is tempered by the fact that I will be losing Sister R., who will be going, unexpectedly, to Turnhout. But I will be getting Sister J., who I have worked with quite a bit in the past and who is a good friend. Also, she will be the sister training leader here, which will be fun for all of us, because I will still get to exchange with Sister R.

No comments:

Post a Comment