Thursday, April 11, 2013

!Algemene Conferentie! (General Conference) and pictures...

Greetings from the MTC to my most beloved family and friends,

In case you were wondering, no, the Dutch language does not approve of putting punctuation marks before words any more that English does. I, on the other hand, do so approve, at least when particular exuberance is required. What was the highlight of my week? General Conference of course! I could never pick a favorite talk. They were all amazing. A few I did particarly like include: President Monson's, Elder Holland's on faith, Elder Bruce D. Porter's, Elder Christofferson's, President Uchtdorfs' (from both Conference and the YW broadcast, which us Sisters watched during Priesthood session), Sister Dalton's during the YW broadcast, Elder Cardon's, Elder Kopishke's, Elder Fallabella's and all the others. I hope that helps.

Other exciting events: Vocal Point gave our Sunday night devotional, and that was great. Favorite quote: "Never have the gall to tell God what He can or cannot do with you or with His other children." If He says He can make us good missionaries, or converted saints, don't you dare disbelieve Him. Brother Gerald N. Lund gave a spectacular Tuesday devotional on revelation. Also, Sunday night my companions and I watched Elder Bednar's talk, "Becoming a Missionary." We have to BECOME good missionaries, not just do missionary things. And always remember that success in the work of proclaiming the gospel is a gift from the Lord. It is our responsibility to work with all our heart, might, mind, and strength, and then the success comes in the Lord's time and in His way.
Our first temple walk: my whole district, all 6 of us. 
All the Dutch sisters from our two districts, all nine of us. These sisters are all wonderful, and I'm privileged to be serving with them.
Our whole Dutch zone
In other news, here are a few tidbits I learned this week about my mission: Brussels is NOT included anymore. The Netherlands is about 1/5th the size of UT, but there are approximately 17 million people there versus about 3 million. So it's a bit more crowded there. To get from the northernmost area to the southernmost area in my mission would take around 6 hours by train. Dutch language side-note: "Moe" means "tired" in Dutch. It is pronounced "moo," or close enough.

Thoughts about the scriptures: "His Words Never Cease" on Mormon Messages: (click here to view); also D&C 20:10-12 (Which was given by inspiration, and is confirmed to others by the ministering of angels, and is declared unto the world by them— Proving to the world that the holy scriptures are true, and that God does inspire men and call them to his holy work in this age and generation, as well as in generations of old; Thereby showing that he is the same God yesterday, today, and forever. Amen.) All of the scriptures are so wonderful!

This is the best, I can think of absolutely nothing I would rather be doing. Every day is a gift. I'm learning so much, and I'm just hoping I'm learning enough to be the most effective missionary I can be. But, as in all things, in many ways my missionary success is quite a bit not due to my own capacity, but rather due to the Lord's mercy in helping me serve as an instrument in His hands to do HIS work. I just hope I don't get in the way.

As always,
Love,
Zuster Stevens

No comments:

Post a Comment