Monday, May 19, 2014

U Wil Ik Volgen, Heer (Lord, I Would Follow Thee)

Hallo!

So this is something I've been thinking about and thought I´d share with you all:

Doctrine and Covenants 3:1-3, the most important part being verse 3, "Remember, remember, that it is not the work of God that is frustrated, but the work of men." Recently I read another talk where a little girl, after suffering a disappointment, says something to the effect of "Heavenly Father, I don´t want you to be my servant anymore. I just want to be yours." Sometimes I get frustrated or disappointed with myself or how the work in my area is progressing. It is easy to feel discouraged. But really, these kinds of thoughts are self-centered. If there is a work that can be and is being frustrated, than it is that of mortal people. So if the work I am doing is being frustrated, it is because I´m trying to do my work and not His. There are times that we experience different trials and heartache because He is out to purify us. There are often things in missionary work that just break our hearts: people not willing to just read and pray about the Book of Mormon, investigators that struggle with addictions or with specific commitments, new members who are having a hard time, inactive members who don´t realize what they are missing by staying away from the Church. This is eternal life! This is all of the happiness we can receive in the entire world. This is everything to me and can mean so much for these people. And it´s hard. But it´s supposed to be. It´s also worth it. No matter what the opposition is, it is the work of the Lord and He is doing it. And it is always, always worth it. I have been so happy on my mission. I am so happy right now. The Lord has blessed me so much. There are of course things that I need to change to make myself a more effective servant of the Lord. But we need never fear or grow discouraged. This work is true. The gospel of Jesus Christ is true. And I´m so grateful for that.

Probably one of the biggest miracles we've been seeing this week is how much our investigator has been progressing. We actually loaned him an extra copy of Preach My Gospel that we had in our apartment and during some of the lessons we have him prepare to teach us the lesson. It´s been working really well. He´s finally making a lot more progress with quitting coffee and he has a baptismal date again. It is truly remarkable to see the change in him. He is a different person than he was 3 months ago, and it´s not just the knowledge that he has gained. He has become someone who feels spiritual things. It is a miracle.

Life is good. I love the gospel, I love my Heavenly Father and Savior, and I love all of you. Have a great week!

No comments:

Post a Comment